The idea to set a monument to A. Mickiewicz in Stanislaviv (Ivano-Frankivsk nowadays) was proclaimed by the Polish city community in 1890.
The creation of the monument designed by T. Blotnytski (sculptor from Krakiv) began in Florence in 1891. The original figure was carved out of the Italian pink marble, had 8 tons of weight and was 2,31 m high.
The ceremonial opening took place on November 20, 1898 on the occasion of the 100th anniversary of Adam Mickiewicz birth. The monument uniqueness was in the fact that for the sculpture the author used the poet’s death mask.
The monument was damaged in 1919 during the First World War. In 1930, its figure was cast in bronze, the pedestal shape was simplified and the location was slightly modified. In such a form it has been preserved till nowadays.