Church of the Nativity
Halych, Ivano-Frankivsk region
The first, wooden church grew on the fences surrounding of princely Halych in the XII century in the place of pagan of Kapyshche. In 1286 the invasion of khans Telebug hordes brought large devastation to Halych. All temples were almost fully blasted. The church of the Nativity burned. It was rebuilt afterwards. However during the conquest of Halychyna by Poland in 1349 it burned out again. Burned out to foundation a sacred object did not disappeared without trace, but renewed in a stone church which is the composition forming element of the square central of modern town of Halych.
One of the researchers of the Halychyna temples Yuriy Lookomsky asserts that the composition of the church of the Nativity had a cruciform plan, there was a three domes church with a traditional entrance westerly. Later the church was finished in the western part north and south. An annex was built very closely to the church of the Honest Cross. Neighborhood with a monastery complicated a ceremonial round the temple, inherent as the Byzantine ceremonial. As a result the annex of the western wall became unwalked, and from the north and the south sides two doors were made. In the XVI century the church of the Nativity is mentioned in the historical sources as the main cult building of the handicraft associations and workshops. The Polish king Sigismund the III in 1593 confirmed the regulation of the pottery workshop in Halych, pursuant to the church of the Nativity, has become his property. In a year fraternities took care of the temple.
Over the XVI - XVIII centuries the church of the Nativity several times was destroyed by Tatars and it came even in desolation, but already in the second half of the XVIII century it was rebuilt and it acquired a modern sight. One of the bells for a bell tower was outpoured in 1785. Then the wooden iconostasis was made and decorated with gold.
Unlike the princely cathedrals of white-rocks the church of the Nativity was built from the local soft stone of marl and bricks on the lime solution. It is a valuable sight of the architecture of the late medieval ages and one of the oldest churches of Halych dean's office.
More information: www.davniyhalych.if.ua
The church was included into the list of the objects, which have been monitored for the accessibility.
Short description of the object accessibility:
It can be visited by disabled tourists at the assistance of accompanying persons. Two high steps at the entrance of the Church yard and one step at the Church building entrance are the main barriers.